Friday, July 25, 2008

POLL: Charge of the Other Side of Netroots

Every once in a while, you get so immersed in your conservative circles, like Huck's Army, the F3 Coalition, the Huckabee Alliance, and the like that you forget that there's another side to the "netroots" coin. Obviously, I never really get a chance to forget about it, because I hear about MoveOn.org all the time. But I rarely see it personally.

Well, I got to see just a little bit of it in action recently with my latest poll. Someone commented on a popular liberal blog about my poll, and voila!

I asked: Which of the following best summarizes your reaction to the recent events relating to marriage in California?

The response:

A incredibly lopsided 242 (89%) said that "California's finally gotten it right. Now for the rest of the country."

The second-place group, consisting of 24 (8%), said that it "Just goes to show how much we need a federal marriage amendment."

A couple people each said that it "Just goes to show had bad activist courts can be" and that it's "Just a blip on the screen; stick with states' rights," neither attaining one percent of the vote.

With one vote, "Just goes to show how far-left California is" came in last.

You all may be interested in what my reaction was. Well, as the administrator of the poll, I have the luxury of not limiting myself to one answer. Needless to say, I do not agree with the 89% majority. I also don't think that it's proof of how liberal Californians are, although I think many of them are very liberal. This was a court decision, overriding the will of the people, who had already chosen to protect marriage and who will have an opportunity to do it again this November with a state constitutional amendment on the ballot.

Although I understand the point of view which urges us to stick to states' rights, I, as a proponent of a federal marriage amendment, do not concur, and I fear that this may be more than a blip on the screen in the long run if strong action is not taken.

I'm split somewhat evenly between seeing the need for a marriage amendment and recognizing the extent and effect of activist courts. Of course, the former is remedial action which one can take, whereas the latter is more just a realization.

Please vote in the next poll!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would LOVE to vote. Unfortunately, I can't because I have no idea which one is most likely to happen.

Kingdom Advancer said...

Hmm....that would seem to pose an obstacle to voting. :)

Obviously, this is a subjective poll, as most are, I think. But I want to gauge what argument people think leans most on the "pro" side of the scale.

This is what I mean:

1.) Marriage Amendment:

Pro: With the homosexual agenda's aggressive advance and momentous happenings in places like California, will Congress and the citizenry be motivated to rise up and protect marriage NOW (or in the near future).

Con: Will conservatives ever be able to gain a 2/3 majority of pro-family, pro-marriage amendment conservatives in both houses of Congress? After all, some conservatives believe that this should be left to the states.

2.) Human Life Amendment:

Pro: Reports suggest that the youth in this country are more pro-life than their predecessors. The pro-life movement has made some gains over the years.

Con: Very similar to the marriage amendment con. Plus, will "more urgent" issues, like the economy and the war on terror, destroy the chances of consolidating an effort to accomplish this.

3.) Parental Rights Amendment:

Pro: If liberals start pushing things like the "U.N. Rights of the Child," there may be a backlash which results in widespread support of such an amendment.

Con: Again, like that of the first 2 cons. In addition, hardly anyone knows or talks about this amendment as of now. And, there will be those who will say that we don't need an amendment for this.

4.) Repeal of 16th Amendment.

Pro: The FairTax movement is certainly gaining steam. A poor economy, lots of outsourcing, and huge trade deficits only feed the effort.

Con: Many politicians probably don't want to give up their income tax system. And, those who are getting special advantages out of it won't want to lose it either.

5.) Election of female President.

Pro: Hillary Clinton came quite close this year, and, technically speaking, could still be the Democratic nominee, although it is unlikely.

Con: It will likely be 4 to 8 years before Clinton will have another shot. Beyond her, there aren't a lot of high-profile women politicians who are expected to rise to the presidential level, unless McCain or Obama elevates one by making them their VP.


Which has the best pro-con differentiation? I don't know. That's why I'm interested to see what others think.

Renneth said...

I don't know... As far as the last poll goes, I've always felt that the state's rights have been too far limited, and the federal goverment has become too powerful. Maybe I'm wrong- after all, I'm just a kid! But I can see how helpful a federal amendment could be- IF the result was no more homosexual marriages. I'm really at a loss as to what they should do.

For your new poll, I honestly don't know. Especially since I don't watch the news very much. And I have no idea what things like the "Fair tax" is. I ask my parents for most things conscerning the news (though my curriculum through A.C.E tells me pretty much everything about past news!). It's possible that I'm biased because of my parents. The funny thing is, after they tell me something, I research about it, and I find that I agree with them. I still have no idea which will happen first, but I hope one of them does (except maybe the female president-thing. I'm a girl, but I hate it when people still judge others by their gender or age, not thier beliefs!).

Anyway, to wrap it all up, I'm glad you're doing this, and it's really been encouraging me to stand up for issues like these, and not disregard them only because I'm young.

God bless!

Kingdom Advancer said...

"And I have no idea what things like the "Fair tax" is."

A lot of people don't know what the Fair Tax is. In fact, I only discovered it when I heard Mike Huckabee touting it in the primaries. Now, I'm a big proponent of the idea. If you want to read a really concise summary of it, you can read this post of mine:

http://christianpresident.blogspot.com/2008/01/fair-tax-and-trade.html

For more information, you can visit FairTax.org.

There are also two good books out there co-written by Neal Boortz and John Linder about the Fair Tax. I've read them both. You might think that a book on taxes would be really, really boring, but they're actually quite intriguing. Or, at least they are to me. Perhaps I'm just weird that way.

Thank you for the encouragement. I really appreciate it.