Friday, July 4, 2008

Happy Independence Day!!!

As so happens with my knack for great timing and preparation, I have prepared nothing eloquent to post about my country on this, its birthday. But I still wanted to express my adoration for my country, in spite of its faults, because of its merits. Today, I encourage you to ponder the sacrifice of those who paid the price for the freedom which we now enjoy, in some form similar to the way our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ paid our debt so that we could be free, set so by the truth.

Enjoy your freedom today, and if you see a military serviceman or woman, go ahead and thank him/her. While you're at it, thank God for the grace He's shed on this country, and pray for all the more. Not that we deserve it. Not that we expect it. But that we so desperately need it.

Happy 4th!!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Everything you write sounds eloquent to me!

How can patriotism be so paradoxical in nature? I have an extremely dismal view of our culture, government, and future. At the same time, the birth of our nation is an extraordinary story in which the hand of God was clearly seen, and I am proud of it. If God’s wrathful hand is stayed, it is because there is still so much good here . . . and the rest of the world needs us. We are hated but loved, despised but sought . . . We are both criticized and envied.

I am proud to be an American.

Kingdom Advancer said...

I hope you're right. I've often wondered whether there is enough of a righteous remnant in this country that God is compelled to preserve America. Then again, God could always simply preserve the remnant if He so desires. Or, He could be waiting for His own good time.

I think it can be wisely said that, if you want to love something or someone perfect, love God. If you want to love anything or anyone else, you're going to have to lower your standards. When I say I love America, I don't mean that I love everything about America from slavery to abortion, but I do still love it, for its form of government, for its freedoms, for its principles, for its diversity, for its natural beauty, for its faith in God, for much of its people. We haven't always been true to our principles, our freedom, our God, etc., but, nevertheless, they are there.